Thursday, July 15, 2010

Love Letter - Robert & Elizabeth Browning

Robert Browning (7 May 1812–1889) was an English poet and playwright whose mastery of dramatic verse, especially dramatic monologues, made him one of the foremost Victorian poets. Elizabeth Barrett Browning (6 March 1806 – 29 June 1861) was one of the most prominent poets of the Victorian era. Her poetry was widely popular in both England and the United States during her lifetime. A collection of her last poems was published by her husband, Robert Browning, shortly after her death. To Robert Browning: And now listen to me in turn. You have touched me more profoundly than I thought even you could have touched me - my heart was full when you came here today. Henceforward I am yours for everything... Elizabeth Barrett Browning To Elizabeth Barret Browning : ...would I, if I could, supplant one of an of the affections that I know to have taken root in you - that great and solemn one, for instance. I feel that if I could get myself remade, as if turned to gold, I WOULD not even then desire to become more than the mere setting to that diamond you must always wear. The regard and esteem you now give me, in this letter, and which I press to my heart and bow my head upon, is all I can take and all too embarrassing, using all my gratitude. Robert Browning *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem...have you read the Anne Bradstreet Poem 'To my Dear and Loving Husband' Here it is for your enjoyment, one of my favs!

    If ever two were one, then surely we.
    If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
    If ever wife was happy in a man,
    Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
    I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
    Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
    My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
    Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.
    Thy love is such I can no way repay.
    The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
    Then while we live, in love let's so persever
    That when we live no more, we may live ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *My love is such that Rivers cannot quench* just love this line. Indeed it is a beautiful poem and just sent it Fahad. Thanks :*

    ReplyDelete