Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Where is Super Nanny???

As most of you know I'm nannyless. I was nannyless since the beginning of summer. My nanny who promised to come back disappeared into the mist of the Himalayan mountains or wherever she came from because in the two years she spent working for me I never got a straight answer from her about her family and where she lived. Anyway when her return was overdue we called and she said she wasn't coming back. So far I had several potential candidates in my home and none of them were up to par. Now I have one who is good with the boys, a little bit aggressive (she is teaching them how to wrestle), likes to play with them, but still clueless about safety and hygiene. Ahmed who is at the age of curiosity and ready to throw himself into anything just for the sake of discovery is the one who is stressing me out with the new nanny. I keep on explaining to her not to do certain things which are dangerous to a child. I spent the whole last week showing her how to take care of him giving her a schedule of his meal times and what to eat. Still I come back home finding my baby didn't have his snack. The other day I gave her a small pot of yogurt and asked to feed him. I'm not sure if she misheard me or misunderstood me, when I turned I found her eating the yogurt! I was speechless. I took another pot and took my son and fed him myself. This morning I was on my way out to work and my office is only a building away from where I live, what do I find? The nanny and Ahmed with their bodies half hanging out from the window. It is a window I never open in front of the kids, because it was built low and easy to open. In all of Abdulaziz's 81/2 years he was never aware of this window, and here was Ahmed very much aware and hanging from it. I felt my heart dropping to my knees and a scream tore from my sore throat and the ground under my feet shifted, I was already feeling weak from the flu, but this scene of my baby, who I had after five agonizing years of trying for a baby and almost lost my life in the process, was hanging from the window, I fainted and I do not faint by the way! I screamed, I yelled and I threw a box of Kleenex at someone. It could be poor Ahmed for all I know, because the only thing I saw was red. I told her never to open the window when Ahmed was around. Never to show him this part of the living room or what's behind the heavy drapes. I even have drapes on the balcony door and I guess the only time it was opened it's when the balcony gets cleaned. I decided going to the office wasn't worth it. I can work here from my home. That is the best part of being your own boss, and the incident has left me out of sorts. Now the question is: is there a place where they can bring certified nannies? Someone who is knowledgeable about childcare, hygiene and safety? If we don't, then why don't we have it here in this country where nannies are important?! Or someone could open a training center for nannies. I'll be the first to apply my nanny.

No comments:

Post a Comment