Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Kinney's popular Web comic, which began in 2004, makes its way to print as a laugh-out-loud "novel in cartoons," adapted from the series. Middle school student Greg Heffley takes readers through an academic year's worth of drama. Greg's mother forces him to keep a diary ("I know what it says on the cover, but when Mom went out to buy this thing I specifically told her to get one that didn't say 'diary' on it"), and in it he loosely recounts each day's events, interspersed with his comic illustrations. Kinney has a gift for believable preteen dialogue and narration (e.g., "Don't expect me to be all 'Dear Diary' this and 'Dear Diary' that"), and the illustrations serve as a hilarious counterpoint to Greg's often deadpan voice. The hero's utter obliviousness to his friends and family becomes a running joke. For instance, on Halloween, Greg and his best friend, Rowley, take refuge from some high school boys at Greg's grandmother's house; they taunt the bullies, who then T.P. her house. Greg's journal entry reads, "I do feel a little bad, because it looked like it was gonna take a long time to clean up. But on the bright side, Gramma is retired, so she probably didn't have anything planned for today anyway." Kinney ably skewers familiar aspects of junior high life, from dealing with the mysteries of what makes someone popular to the trauma of a "wrestling unit" in gym class. His print debut should keep readers in stitches, eagerly anticipating Greg's further adventures. From amazon.com

I wanted Abdulaziz to improve his English. While we were at Border in Oman, I asked him to pick up some books. He got some comics and a book called "Diary of A Wimpy Kid". I didn't like the title, and didn't like the fact it had more illustrations in it, however after reading it with him. I can say it was very funny and enjoyable to read. Last weekend, we stopped at Jareer because I was looking for some books and asked Abdulaziz to pick up another book so we can read over the break. After few minutes he rushed towards where I was browsing carrying a boxed set of the Diary of a Wimpy Kids series. He was really excited that he found more books about the series. It cost KD15, a bit pricy, but I didn't mind since he really enjoys reading it. As soon as we got back home he went through the illustrations in the four books, but then later that evening we started reading it together. When there were words he didn't know their definition, he underlines them and the next day he can check out their meaning on www.dictionary.com . As much as I wanted him to use a regular dictionary, I know he would look up those words if he used a regular dictionary. I highly recommend this book, for boisterous preteen boys, who you want them to sit for thirty minutes to read.

1 comment:

  1. I'm no preteen boy :P but i'm proud to say that i've read all the series :P
    I love reading and my younger brother on the contrary hates it, but he'll read diary of a wimpy kid, when i was younger kaan aku a series called Junie b jones, i think your son ra7 yi7iba :D

    ReplyDelete